ECHS Designation requirements
Information on this page is from the Application for ECHS Designation.
- Common core state standards are integrated into academic courses. If applicable, common career technical core state standards are integrated into CTE courses.
- Student learning is accelerated using dual credit, beginning no later than tenth grade. Dual credit courses will be delivered through one or more Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), and shall meet these standards:
- No tuition charged to students,
- College courses will be taught by instructors who meet HLC definitions for college instructor qualifications, and
- College courses will align with a pathway as indicated on the Next Step Plan. Courses must align with:
- established New Mexico higher education general education curriculum, and/or
- student’s declared CTE pathway, and/or
- student’s declared major or meta-major. Students will be offered one or more pathways culminating in a certificate, credential, or degree. Each pathway shall:
- Have workforce partners;
- Lead to workforce-recognized credentials; and
- Include work-based learning experiences.
- Focuses on underrepresented youth by giving admissions preference to low-income students.
- Focused recruiting efforts encourage applicants from underserved backgrounds.
- The proportion of low-income students in the student body should be at least as high as that of the high school population for the district in which the ECHS is located. Outreach and recruiting processes shall strive for equitable access.
- If the pool of applicants includes a lower proportion of low-income students than the average high school income distribution within the district, the ECHS shall conduct additional outreach and recruiting efforts the following year to recruit low-income applicants in proportion to the district’s overall proportion of low income high school students.
- Innovative, interactive, research-based support structures are in place to facilitate student success in an accelerated learning environment.
If your school is considering ECHS Designation and you have additional questions or would like additional information, please complete the brief form below. A member of the ECHS Support Team will contact you within 3-5 business days.